What is KSLA Working On?
We wanted to let you know what KSLA is working on during this unprecedented time in senior living:
Civil Liability Immunity: Bob is working with a group of people to create “immunity from liability for all COVID-19 events in Kentucky." This would protect our Provider members in cases where a resident or staff member becomes ill or dies from COVID-19. The situation in Kentucky is that it requires an executive order from the governor to receive this kind of civil liability immunity.
The group working on this immunity includes:
- Pat Mulloy, former President of Elmcroft, now the Vice Chair of the Argentum Board of Directors. Pat is from Louisville and is an attorney.
- Bob White (Retired), KSLA Executive Director
- Tim Veno with Leading Age
- Betsy Johnson with KAHCF/KCAL
- Doug McSwain with Wyatt Tarrant and Combs, Lexington
- Tara Clayton from Willis Towers Watson (formerly general counsel for Atria and Elmcroft)
- Keith Knapp, Associate Professor - Health Mgt & Policy at University of Kentucky College of Public Health now working with OIG in various capacities
- Mary Haynes, Chair of Long-Term Care Task Force
The first calls about this took place last week. The focus of our efforts is going to be convincing the governor to sign an executive order.
Hosting Weekly Virtual Roundtable Discussions: KSLA is hosting these discussions, via conference call, with any interested provider members on Tuesdays at 10 a.m. (see below for more information). The purpose of these calls is to ask questions and to share ideas, suggestions and coping strategies for getting through the COVID-19 pandemic. All Provider members are invited to participate in these calls.
Participating in Wednesday Conference Calls with Argentum and Argentum State Partners: The purpose of these calls is to discuss COVID-19 issues and practices in other states.
Participating in Tuesday/Thursday "Huddles" with Inspector General Adam Mather and DAIL's Commissioner Victoria Elridge: The purpose of these twice-weekly "huddles" is to discuss any updates and/or concerns related to COVID-19 in hopes of providing "real-time" solutions to our senior living communities.
Participating in Weekly On-Line Meetings with Argentum and It's Public Relations Firm, Elelman: These on-line meetings are hosted by Argentum and Edelman each Tuesday. Participants include Executive Directors from Argentum state partners and senior living communities who are Argentuem members. The purpose of these meetings is to learn how Argentum is advocating for senior living around the country during the COVID-19 crisis. Efforts include the following:
- writing letters to the editor and opinion pieces to prominent news outlets to maximize exposure of the senior living industry's needs
- focusing on the work Congress is doing to add funds to the CARES Act.
- creating a media campaign focusing on the "face" of senior living and the challenges it faces, as well as sharing positive stories about how senior living communities are responding to COVID-19
Weekly Argentum Webinars on a Variety of Topics Related to COVID-19: Topics for these webinars include:
- Staffing Solutions During COVID-19
- Best Practices for Memory Care Residents
- Middle Market Growth Success Stories
- Crisis Communications
- Caring for Staff in Uncertain Times
- Resident/Family Life Enrichment Strategies
- Preparing for the COVID-19 Long-Term Business Impact
- The Regulatory Aftermath of COVID-19
Pursuing How and Where to Purchase COVID-19 Test Kits: These kits would be used for in-house testing of residents and staff at senior living communities. We are working on this daily. Unfortunately, we still don't have a company where these tests can be provided.
Pursuing How and Where to Purchase PPE: KSLA is asking its Associate members with these supplies, as well as other COVID-19 related resources and services, to share this information with us so we can pass along to our Provider members.
As pertinent information is learned in these efforts, we will share it with our members. And as always, please send us your questions, needs, and concerns so that we may seek and provide answers.